Did you know that with regular walking you can lose up to a pound within one week? In five months, you can lose more than 20 pounds without paying expensive gym memberships or following strict diet regimes. Walking is very good for toning the muscles and bettering the overall health, while shedding fat and losing surplus weight. With this in mind, we’ve prepared a very useful workout routine to help incorporate walking into your daily life.
Walking Encourages Weight Loss
Walking with a speed of 4 miles per hour, you can burn approximately 400 calories. 3 miles more will help you burn additional 300 calories. A pedometer is a great device that you can use and keep track of your progress. You can place it onto the outfit near the hip region while walking to count the number of steps.
The average individual needs to take 2000 steps in the average mile to actually lose weight. One mil burns 100 calories. A pedometer is also good because it tracks the number of calories you burn and the miles you walk on a daily basis.
- A mile – 2000 steps and 100 calories
- A pound – 3500 calories
- 1 pound per week – 500 calories
- 10000 steps daily – 1 pound per week
Make Walking a Part of Your Life
- Instead of a car or a bus, walk from home to work and vice versa
- When you’re going somewhere with a car, park it further and walk to your destination
- Instead of the elevator, use the stairs
- Walk your children or grandchildren to school
Spice Up Things
- Take different routes
- Listen to music
- In winter, you can walk on a treadmill placed in front of a TV or a window
- Invite your partner, friends, or family members to walk with you
How to Walk
Unfortunately, very often, we take walking for granted, and thus, we pay little or no attention to how we actually walk. Proper walking means focusing the eyes about 100 feet forwards, holding the chin up, squeezing the glutes, and pulling in the abdomen towards the spine.
How Often to Walk
Walk 3 days per week for 15 to 20 minutes and gradually increase the duration until you walk 30 to 60 minutes daily, daily.